Burgundy lips have been popping on celebrities and in ad campaigns ever since the Fall 2013 runways. Models walking in shows such as Fendi, Zac Posen and Vera Wang all flashed this gorgeous deep bordeaux lip color. Check out the trend below and discover how you can try it out for yourself.
The girl of Fendi were given a perfectly lined, opaque burgundy lip, while Rachel Zoe’s model’s lips look effortlessly stained. At Miu Miu, the lip is two-toned, while models walking in Vera Wang’s show were given a touch of gloss.
Celebs Love a Vampy Lip
Celebrities have taken the burgundy lip trend and run with it. Dark, statement lips have been seen all over the red carpets from the SAG Awards (Claire Danes) to the Golden Globes (Kaley Cuoco). The trend was especially popular at the Met Gala this year, as many stars such as Nicole Ritchie, Nicki Minaj, Miranda Kerr, Minka Kelly and Katy Perry all opted for this bold look.
Get the Look
While burgundy lips may seem a bit bold and scary, they’re super easy to pull off.
- START OUT SHEER– If you’re not into as deep of a lip as Katy Perry’s (above), try a more sheer formula such as a balm or lip tint. Dior Addict Extreme in Black Tie is perfect, it’s lightweight, hydrating, and semi glossy. You can also opt for berry or wine shades which will look less severe.
- COMPLIMENT YOUR SKINTONE – Fair skinned girls might want to opt for lighter shade such as a deep berry or plum. You’ll have less risk of looking goth and it’ll look a lot more wearable. This isn’t to say you can’t pull off a dark shade! Emma Stone, Kate Bosworth and Michelle Williams have all done it and I love a dark lip on pale skin. Medium and dark skin tones can get away with much deeper shades.
- KEEP THE REST OF YOUR MAKEUP SOFT – It’s usually best to pair burgundy lips with a clean eye so that you don’t risk looking overly made up or dramatic. Sweep a shimmery champagne eyeshadow across your lids and look for a similar shade of blush to keep the look semi monochromatic.
- MASCARA IS YOUR BEST FRIEND– With burgundy lipstick, mascara is your best friend. If your eye makeup if soft, several coats of mascara helps to accentuate your eyes without looking over dramatic.
- PREP YOUR LIPS– Dark lipstick accentuates dry lips like crazy so make sure to exfoliate and moisturize before applying your lipstick!
1. DIOR ADDICT: Black Tie | 2.Milani: Black Cherry |3. OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE COSMETICS: Black Dahlia | 4. REVLON: Wine Not | 5. KAT VON D: Rosary