How to Get Brigitte Bardot’s Iconic Look
Brigitte Bardot celebrated her 75th birthday two days ago! It’s hard to believe that this beauty icon is already 75, yet we still use her famous makeup and hair as a popular references for today’s styles. Brigitte’s look is the embodiment of “sex kitten,” with her teased, voluminous hair and smokey bedroom eyes. Lucky for us, re-creating this iconic look is actually quite easy and wearable.
What You Will Need
- Black Eyeliner (preferably liquid or gel)
- Grey or Black Eyeshadow
- A Volumizing Mascara
- Apricot or Nude Lipstick and Lipliner
- Teasing Brush or Comb
- Bobby Pins
- Curling Iron
How To: Makeup
1. Start by taking your grey or black eyeshadow and sweep it across your eyelid, all the way up to your crease. Brigitte Bardot was all about the smokey eye, so the darker the better. However, keeping it lighter can be a more casual option.
2. Next, BLEND. Dark eyeshadow can look very harsh and amateur if you don’t blend it well enough. My recommendation would be to take a fluffy eyeshadow brush and use a “windshield wiper motion” across the shadow as many times as it takes to see the edges start to soften up.
3. Now it’s time for liner. This can be one of the toughest parts of the look if you are not comfortable putting on liner, but with practice comes perfection. Line your upper lash-line with your liner and bring it out a little past your eye to give it that cat-eye, winged look. Clean up any rough edges, and sharpen your point with a pointy Q-Tip (talked about here). Don’t forget to line your bottom lash line as well. Smudge with with a Q-tip to keep it messy and sexy.
4. Apply 3-4 coats of volumizing mascara to top off the eyes. I of course, am a huge fan of L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara in Carbon Black (click for review).
5. Line your lips with a nude lipliner, preferably one that is the same color, or slightly darker than your lips. I like MAC’s “stripdown” liner for nude lips.
6. Next, apply your lipstick. You can choose to blend your lipliner into your lipstick to keep it modern, or keep the slightly darker liner (as pictured above) to stay true to the original look.
7. Finish off the look by applying your foundation, making sure to clean up any fall out from the black eyeshadow. Brigitte’s face was kept relatively nude with not much blush. If you feel you need a bit of color on your cheeks, opt for a neutral peach shade.
How To: Hair
Brigitte’s hair is messy and big, so it’s very easy to pull off especially since it doesn’t need to be precise
1. If you have straight hair, start off by adding a few loose waves to it with a curling iron. My favorite technique for waves is to simply wrap separate strands of hair around your closed curling iron. Leave for several seconds depending on how well your hair curls and the spray with hairspray.
2. Next, section your hair at the crown of your head and use your teasing brush or comb to back-comb the hair. Spray each teased section as you go. Don’t skimp on this part because the volume is the most important part of the look.
3. Now, lightly start to comb the back-combed hair into place. Be careful not to take out all the teasing! You are just trying to smooth over the top of the hair.
4. You can either leave your hair like this, or take your bobby pins and start pinning sections of your hair back, into a half-up, half-down, voluminous look.